10 Green Resolutions for the New Year
What Green Turns?
1. SAY NO TO PLASTICS
2. PLANT AN INDOOR GARDEN
3. PLANT & MAINTAIN SAPLINGS TO COMMEMORATE YOUR SPECIAL DAYSBirthdays, wedding anniversaries, marking big life events and the achievement of life goals can be commemorated with the planting of saplings and ensuring their care. They’ll grow to be trees our best carbon trap, our source of oxygen and the most efficient rain maker known to man.
4. GROW YOUR OWN FOODNothing is more satisfying than growing your own food. You can start simple with the sprouting onion in your kitchen stock to harvest spring onion, or the sprouting potato into a potato patch, herbs like mint and coriander, greens like methi (Fenugreek) and move onto planting your kitchen scraps and germinating the seeds of the fruits you consume into seedlings and saplings and potted mini-farms! You can also be inspired by the experiences of “sowing to harvest” of vegetables as described by Kalpana Manivannan of Kalpavriksha Farms.
5. REPLACE LIGHT BULBS & APPLIANCES WITH ENERGY EFFICIENT ONES -- BUT ONLY AS THEY WEAR OUT - DON'T CONSUME UNNECESSARILYEnergy efficient appliances, LED light bulbs, Gorilla fans, etc. save you money in the power bill and are great acts for the good of the environment. Solar powered security lights are also a good place to start. In apartment blocks and gated communities investing in solar-powered community street lighting and staircase and landing lights are major money savers in maintenance afteran initial investment. BUT I REITERATE REPLACE YOUR ELECTRONICS AND APPLIANCES WITH ENERGY EFFIENCNT PRODUCTS ONLY WHEN THEY STOP WORKING - DON'T JUST THROW OUT A GOOD ONE AND BUY A NEW ONE. Over-consumption and consumption for the sake of it are the true enemies of the environment and negate any green turns you take. Anything that consumed resources and lands up in the dump when it still has use and wear is wasteful. Green Duniya Network has a great range of green products to help maintain the momentum of taking the green path.
6. REDUCE YOUR MEAT CONSUMPTIONCutting meat from your diet is good for your body and is positive climate action. Read more about it in this article of mine.
7. SLOW FASHIONIf you have to buy new clothes get it from slow fashion brands or brands that directly employ or source from rural artisans or are social enterprises. Doodlage, Porgai, Aeshaane by Neesha Amrish (high fashion, ahimsa silk scarves) are great examples and fabric and rag upcyclers such as Texool are great enterprises to support. But, the key remains CONSUME LESS AND CONSUME MINDFULLY.
8. BE AWARE OF YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINTYou can calculate your annual carbon footprint anytime and anywhere in an easy manner with onlyplanet.in Becoming aware of your ecological impact will help you make lifestyle modifications that will add up to significant reductions to personal emissions. E.g., take the train when you can, use public transport.
Calculate your annual #carbonemissions in a simple yet engaging & educative manner with #OnlyPlanet_In and #Shado your personal CARBONe!!! Do it anytime & anywhere - take the important step to knowing ur impact on the #planet to take a #GreenTurn in your life. pic.twitter.com/cmwgAnn7QG— Raakhee Suryaprakash (@10sunshinegal) January 3, 2019