Briefing on GSTR-9 & 9C and The Process to File GSTR-9C Form
TOPICS : Politics
Jan 23 , 2020 13 min read 912 Views 0 Likes 0 Comments
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has introduced various tax return forms and GSTR-9 & GSTR-9C are also two such forms. Taxpayers often get confused about the differences between the two. This article sheds light on the difference between the two and the process of filing Form GSTR 9C.The due date to file GSTR-9 for FY 2017-18 has been extended from 31st December 2019 to 31st January 2020. Gen GST Return Filing and Billing Software facilitates the taxpayers to easily file the GSTR returns in compliance with GST rules & regulations.
On the other hand, the revised due date for GST Audit Form 9C is 31st January 2020 and 31st March 2020 for FY 2017-18 and FY 2018-19, respectively.Now let’s have a closer look at the process of GSTR-9C Filing and steps that should be taken by taxpayers. To file GSTR-9C properly, CA and cost accountants play a prominent role - right from preparing and certifying forms to uploading them or filing at the facilitation center. Other key documents include a copy of all accounts that are audited by account holder CA and their annual return. Here are the steps required to be followed by every taxable person to file Form GSTR 9C.
GSTR-9 and GSTR-9CGSTR 9 is an annual return or consolidation of all the monthly/quarterly returns (GSTR-1, GSTR-2A, GSTR-3B), to be filed by every taxpayer registered under GST irrespective of their annual turnover. Whereas GSTR-9C is a reconciliation statement between GSTR 9 for the fiscal year & the taxpayer’s audited financial statement, to be filed by taxpayers having turnover more than INR 2 crores. GSTR-9C must be audited by a CA.
Due Dates to File GSTR-9 and GSTR-9C
On the other hand, the revised due date for GST Audit Form 9C is 31st January 2020 and 31st March 2020 for FY 2017-18 and FY 2018-19, respectively.
- Before filing GSTR9-9C, filing GSTR-9 Annual Return is mandatory.
- Offline toll "designer", available on the GST portal should be used by all CAs to prepare GSTR-9C. Taxpayers should have a valid digital signature (not expired) in format PKCS7.
Read Also: How to View Inward Supplies Details in GSTR-2A
Mandatory Steps to be Taken by Every Taxable Person to File Form GSTR 9CA valid (not expired) Digital Signature Certificate (DSC) in format PKCS7. It is mandatory that the taxpayer files the GSTR-9 Annual Return GSTR-9 before GSTR-9C At first, Form GSTR-9C has to be prepared by the chartered accountant or cost accountant using the Offline Tool ‘designer’ available on the GST portal. Note: Any observations/ comments must be entered into an excel tool directly and must not be copy/pasted from anywhere else.
Steps to File Form GSTR 9CStep1: Collect All The Data and Send it to The Auditor.
- Download the already filed (on the GST portal) GSTR-9 Form in PDF format.
- Download GSTR-9C Tables by clicking on “initiate filing” present under the GSTR 9C tab.
- Taxable turnover
- The total amount of tax paid
- GSTR-9C Offline Utility can be downloaded from the “Downloads” section available on the GST portal.
- Download & Install designer
- Access the GSTR-9C Offline Utility Excel Worksheet and furnish the details in a table-wise manner.
- Prepare a JSON file.
- Affixation of auditor’s DSC by auditor himself.
- Get the JSON File signed from your Auditor.
- Click “initiate filing” and upload other related important documents.
- Click on “prepare offline” and upload the Signed JSON File on GST Portal.
- Save the form and Sign it.