Easy Steps to Quickly Generate a GST Challan for Tax Payments
The final value which is extracted after all the deductions is to be paid by the taxpayer as tax to the Government. GST Challan is generated by the taxpayer from the GST portal that is located on the link www.gst.gov.in/ ’. for the purpose of such tax payment. GST amount can be paid via NEFT, debit/credit card, internet banking, or cash.
For the convenience of the taxpayers here is the step-wise guide to generating an online ‘GST Payment Challan:
GST Challan can be generated either by signing in to the GST Portal or without signing in to the portal.
Steps to create a GST Challan GST Portal (without signing in to the portal)
Step 1: Land on the GST portal by typing in the search bar ‘https://www.gst.gov.in/’
Step 2: Visible on the dashboard select Services ➣ Payments ➢ Create Challan
Step 3: You will arrive on The ‘Create Challan’ page, to generate a pre-login challan enter your GST Number in the GSTIN/UIN/TMPID box.
- Unique Identification Number (UIN) is for the Government Offices, Embassies, UN Bodies or any other Notified individual.
- Temporary Identification Number (TMPID) is for the Unregistered Taxpayers holding a temporary ID.
- Tax Return Preparer Identification Number (TRPID) is for the individuals who are licensed tax return generators.
Step 4: A captcha is visible on the screen. Type the exact characters as visible in the image in captcha then select ‘Proceed’ button.
Step 5: Enter in the ‘Tax Liability Grid’ the details required for payment to be made and choose your required ‘Mode of Payment.
Step 6: Once you have selected the Mode of Payment, OTP Authentication popup appears. Enter the mobile number registered with GSTIN/UIN/TRPID/TMPID then click on the ‘Proceed’ button to further continue the process.
Step 7: Once the OTP is verified, the GST Challan created will be flashing on the screen which can either be downloaded by clicking on ‘Download’ Button or directly paid by clicking on ‘Make Payment Option’.
Steps to create a GST Challan GST Portal (after signing in to the portal)
- Step 1: Type the link https://www.gst.gov.in/ on the search bar to land on the GST Portal
- Step 2: Log in on the Portal by entering the correct username and password.
- Step 3: Visible on the dashboard select Services ➣ Payments ➢ Create Challan
- Step 4: Enter in the ‘Tax Liability Grid’ the details required for payment and choose your required ‘Mode of Payment’.
- You can take the help of E-Tax Liability Ledger to find out the absolute value of your tax liability or you can enter a random amount irrespective of actual liability amount which will automatically get updated to Electronic Cash Ledger for later purposes.
- The value entered under Major Headings (CGST/IGST/SGST/UTGST,Cess) or minor headings (Tax, Penalty Fee, Interest & others) can be reffered for that liability only. Cross utilization is not possible under these heads.
Step 5: After entering the details in the tax liability section, choose your required mode of payment by clicking on ‘Payment Modes’ option and fill in the necessary details.
Step 6: After updating all correct payment details, the challan can be saved or directly created for the payment. There is a unique reference number for each saved challan. A maximum number of 10 challas could be saved under saved challan option.
Step 7: Once the challan is generated, the taxpayer can proceed with the payment process by using Generated Challan or CPIN.
Step 8: For paying the saved challan, the taxpayer has to re-select Services ➣ Payments ➣ My Saved Challans.
Step 9: The GST Challan created will be flashing on the dashboard which can either be downloaded by clicking on ‘Download’ Button or can directly be paid by clicking on ‘Make Payment Option’.